The Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv was founded in 1834 as Kiev Imperial University of Saint Vladimir. Nowadays it is a classic university and the leading contemporary academic and educational hub of Ukraine. Currently, its structure consists of fifteen faculties (academic departments) and five institutes. One of them is the Institute of Journalism which takes part in the project Changes in Media Education and Political Dialogue Perspectives.
The history of the Institute began in 1953, when the Faculty of Journalism was opened. In 1993 the Faculty of Journalism became the Institute of Journalism. This event showed a new stage in journalistic education in the independent state of Ukraine. And now, in 2018, it’s a alma mater for Ukrainian professionals in media. The Institute of Journalism prepares not only journalists, but also specialists in advertising, PR, publishing business, media editing, media producing and television filming.
The Institute of Journalism and Institute of International Relations share the building of the former Higher Party School of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union in Melnykova Street, where there was provided training and staff development for the federal public service. Its purpose affected appearance of the complex – the lacquered wooden window crosses, connection of educational corps with a dormitory, dining-room and sport center through the covered crossings.
The second stage of international project Changes in Media Education and Political Dialogue Perspectives takes part in the Institute of Journalism. The participants from Armenia, Georgia, Germany and Ukraine work there now. The final conference on the 9th of November where the results of the project will be presented will take place in the biggest lecture hall of the institute.